UPSC has fixed the eligibility criteria for applicants appearing for Geologists Exam. These are as followed:
1. Academic Qualification
– Post graduates in geology / applied geology or marine geology from a recognized University are eligible
– Post graduates in Hydrology from a recognized university are eligible for posts in Central Ground Water Board (CGWB)
– Post graduated in Mineral exploration from a recognized university for posts in Geological Survey of India (GSI) can also appear for the exam
– Applicants with diploma of Associateship in Applied geology of Indian School Mines, Dhanbad are applicable for the examination
2. Age Limit
– Applicants must be between the ages of 21 – 32 years of age.
– Age relaxation for applicants under SC / ST, OBC and other categories are determined by the rules of the government.
– Upper age limit for SC / ST applicants is 5 years
– For OBC applicants (who are eligible to avail reservation) upper age limit is 3 years
– Maximum 5 years for applicants domiciled in Jammu & Kashmir during the period from January 1st 1980 to December 31st 1989.
– For ex- serviceman maximum age is 5 years who have served at least five years in Military Services as on January 1st 2011.
– 3 years for Defense Services Personnel who were disabled in services during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area.
– Applicants like deaf, mute, blind and orthopedically handicapped, upper age limit is ten years.
– Indian Citizen
– A subject of Nepal
– A subject of Bhutan
– A Tibetan refugee who came to India with a thought of settling here permanently before January 1st 1962.
– Indian origin persons who have migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, or East African countries of Uganda, Kenya, Malawi, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Zaire, and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with a thought of settling in India permanently.
– Applicants who come under categories mentioned in points 2, 3, 4 and 5 should provide the relevant certificate issued by the Government of India.
4. Physical Fitness
The applicants should be physically fit according to the physical standards for admission to the Geologists exam.