Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB)
SAMPLE QUESTION PAPER
CLASS – INTERMEDIATE (12th)
SUBJECT – ENGLISH
1. Use the following idioms and phrases in sentences of your own so as to bring out their meaning clearly:
(a) Look after (b) In front of (c) All in all
2. Combine the following simple sentences into one complex sentence each:
(a) He will pass. It is certain.
(b) Where is the museum? Can you tell me?
(c) He is poor. He is happy.
3. Fill in the blanks with suitable modal auxiliary verbs:
(a) You ………. do your duty.
(b) We ………. Respect out elders.
(c) I ………… swim across the river.
4. Turn the following sentences into Indirect speech:
(a) Hari said, “Two and two makes four.”
(b) He said, “Hurrah! We have won the match.”
(c) The teacher said to me, “Why do they go to Delhi?”
5. Transform the following sentences as directed without changing the meaning:
(a) Can you repair this machine? (Into Assertive)
(b) The pencil is too small to mend. (Remove ‘too’)
(c) Kolkata is the biggest city in India. (Into positive)
6. Translate the following sentences into English:
7. Choose the correct tense forms of the verbs given in brackets and fill in the blanks:
(a) He ……….. (listen) to the radio now.
(b) I …………. (leave) Patna last year.
(c) I shall not go out if it …………. (rain).
8. Change the following sentences into Passive voice:
(a) The peon opened the gate.
(b) She can win the prize.
(c) People speak Hindi in Bihar.
9. An old man had three sons who often quarreled with one another. They paid no attention to their father’s advice not to do so. One day he called all his sons together and gave them a bundle of sticks and asked each of them to try in turn and break the bundle. Each of them tried but failed. The old man then asked them to untie the bundle and break the sticks separately. Not to speak of the eldest, even the youngest one broke the sticks without any difficulty. Then the old man told his sons that they should see the power of unity. If they lived united no harm would come to them: if they quarreled, they would have to face difficulty.
(a) How did the three sons behave with one another?
(b) Did they heed to their father’s advice?
(c) What did the old man do next?
(d) What moral do you get from the above passage?
10. Write an essay in about 100-150 words on any one of the following topics:
(b) The book you like most
(c) A memorable day in your life
(d) An ideal family
11. Make a precis of the following passage giving a suitable title:
One of the most widely spread bad habits is the use of tobacco. Tobacco is now smoked or chewed by men, often by women and even by children, almost all over the world. It was brought into Europe from America by Sir Walter Raleigh four centuries ago, and has thence spread everywhere. We very much doubt whether there is any good in the habit, even when tobacco is not used to excess: and it is extremely difficult to get rid of the habit when once it has been formed.
12. Match the names given in List-A with appropriate titles from List-B : 5
(a) Rupert Brooke (i) Song of myself
(b) D. H. Lawrence (ii) To Autumn
(c) Walt Whitman (iii) The soldier
(d) John Donne (iv) Snake
(e) John Keats (v) Sweetest Love I Do not Go
13. Name the poets who wrote the following lines:
(a) I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume.
(b) Whose white waterfall could bless
Travellers in their last distress
(c) Where are the song of spring?
Ay, where are they?
(d) If in thine my life thou waste
Thou art the best of me.
(e) I swore to save fire
From the sin of forgetfulness
14. Give, in short, the summary of any one of the following poems:
(a) Snake (b) My Grandmother’s House
(c) To Autumn (d) The soldier
15. Complete the following sentences on the basis f your textural reading:
(a) Dr. Radhakrishnan never lost his faith in …………
(b) Nanukaka was coming from Delhi to …………….
16. Name the authors of the following prose pieces:
(a) Bharat is My Home (b) I Have A Dream (c) The Artist
17. Give, in short, the summary of any one of the following pieces:
(a) I have A Dream (b) The Earth (c) A Child is Born
18. Name the authors of the following:
(a) David Copperfield
(c) Piers the Plowman
(d) The Guide
19. English is an international language. How?
Or Write the names of five Indian English Writers.
20. Write a brief note on Modern English.
Or, Discuss the future of English is India.
More Govt Jobs given below
Staff Selection Commission
Combined Graduate Level Exam
Subject – General English
Directions (1-10): In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each four words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word.
A two party (1) is must for a democratic country like (2) to achieve national objectives (3) as removal (4) unemployment,
MODEL PRACTICE SET
Subject- General English
Combined Graduate level Examination SSC 2011
Directions (1-10): A passage is given below in which blanks have been numbered. Four alternative choices are given below against each number. In the context of the whole passage, select the best word in each case to fit each of the blanks to complete the passage correctly and meaningfully.
During the World War I penicillin was (1) on six patients.
BANK PROBATIONARY OFFICER (BANK PO)
1. Which country will introduce entrepreneur visa to encourage foreign nationals from India and elsewhere to catalyze the country’s economic recovery?
(a) US (b) Britain
(c) France (d) Denmark
(e) None of these
2. Name the state whose chief minister has said that the Armed Forces Special Powers Act can be withdrawn from some areas with a rider that the Army can step in again if the situation so warrants.
Bank Probationary Officer ( Bank PO)
1. Name the Karnataka minister who resigned in the wake of the Lokayukta police filing a first information report against him on irregularities related to allotment of land through the Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board (KIADB).
(a) Katta Subramanya Naidu (b) N Santosh Hegde
(c) Jagmohan Reddy (d) Roshan Baig
(e) None of these
NABARD Bank PO
1. Which of the following is rated the poorest region of the world?
(a) The Middle East (b) Asia
(c) Sub-Saharan Africa (d) Latin America
(e) None of these
2. Which of the following terms is not used in the world of economics/finance?
(a) Sinking Fund (b) Third World
(c) Open Door Policy (d) Devaluation
(e) Privilege Motion