Staff Selection Commission Examination for Assistant in FCI 2012
SSC Assistant for FCI Question Paper
PART – (a)
1. Student : BOOK : : Postman 😕
(A) Delivery (B) Bicycle
(C) Uniform (D) Mail
2. Illiteracy : Education : : Drought : ?
(A) Well (B) Rain
(C) Dam (D) River
3. Carpenter : Furniture : : ?
(A) Book : Author
(B) Magazine : Editor
(C) Cook : Soup
(D) Dam : Engineer
4. LOM : NMK :: PKI : ?
(A) RIH (B) SHG
(B) RIG (C) RHG
5. JTIS : HRGQ : : FPEO : ?
(A) DNCM (B) DCNQ
(C) CNDM (E) CNDQ
6. BAD : CBE : : ? : IVSU
(A) GOOD (B) HSPR
(C) HALT (D) HURT
7. 5 : 30 : : 8 : ?
(A) 14 (B) 50
(C) 69 (D) 80
8. 12 : 30 : : 20 : ?
(A) 48 (B) 32
(C) 35 (D) 42
9. 3 : 28 : : 5 : ?
(A) 179 (B) 126
(C) 124 (D) 125
10. (A) Cement (B) Glue
(C) Gum (D) Lock
11. (A) Biography (B) Photography
(C) Lithography (D) Xerography
12. (A) Petrol – Car (B) Coal – Engine
(C) Smoke – Fire (D) Oil – Lamp
13. (A) 23 (B) 25
(C) 19 (D) 17
14. (A) 6121 (B) 7364
(c) 1036 (D) 2710
15. (A) 21 – 98 (B) 45 – 210
(C) 7 – 29 (D) 27 – 126
16. (A) EBD (B) IFH
(C) QNO (D) YVX
17. (A) BQCR (B) DSET
(C) FUGV (D) HWIY
18. (A) AEIU (B) BCDF
(C) AOIU (D) OIAE
19. 1. Child 2. Profession
3. Marriage 4. Infant
(A) 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, (B) 2, 1, 4, 3, 5
(C) 4, 1, 5, 2, 3 (D) 5, 4, 1, 3, 2
20. 1. Plastering 2. Painting
3. Foundation 4. Walls
(A) 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (B) 3, 4, 1, 2, 5
(B) 3, 4, 5, 1, 2 (C) 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
21. If the following words are arranged according to English Dictionary, which word will be on third place ?
(A) KNOW (B) KNACK
(C) KNIT (D) KNOB
22. Which one set of letters when sequentially placed at the gaps in the given letter series shall complete it ?
_ bc c _ a abc _ ba ab _
(A) acbc (B) abac
(C) abcc (D) acac
23. ACE, BDF, CEG, ?
(A) CED (B) DFH
(C) DEM (D) HED
24. AZBY, CXDW, EVFU, ?
(A) SHTG (B) GXHW
(C) GTHS (D) STHO
25. 33, 48, 65, 84, ?, ?
(A) 105, 128 (B) 99, 110
(C) 101, 118 (D) 105, 126
26. 2, 10, 26, 50, ?
(A) 74 (B) 50
(C) 78 (D) 82
27. Find the wrong number in the given number series :
2, 10, 30, 68, 120, 222
(A) 68 (B) 120
(C) 30 (D) 222
28. Savitha introduced a boy as the son of the only daughter of the father of her maternal uncle. How is boy related to Savitha?
(A) Brother (B) Son
(C) Nephew (D) Son-in-law
29. A father is three times as old as his son. Eight years ago, the father was five times as old as his son. What is the present age of the son?
(A) 12 years (B) 14 years
(C) 16 years (D) 20 years
30. From following alternatives select the word which cannot be formed using the letters of the given word:
(A) PART (B) TREAT
(C) MATURE (D) TAME
31. From the following alternatives select the word can be formed using the letters of the given word:
(A) EXPIRE (B) PERCIEVE
(C) EMPIRE (D) EXPENSE
32. If E = 5 and TEA = 26 then TEACHER = ?
(A) 75 (B) 59
(C) 60 (D) 57
33. In certain code COMPUTER is written as OCPMKTURE. In that code which alternative will be written as OHKCYE ?
(A) HCOKEY (B) HYKOCE
(C) HOCKEY (D) HOYECK
34. X stands for +, Z stands for ÷ , Y stands for -, and P stands for x, then what is the value of 10 P 2 X 5 Y 5 ?
(A) 10 (B) 15
(C) 20 (D) 25
35. Some equations are solved on the basis of a certain system. Find out the correct answer for the unsolved equation on that basis.
If 3 ÷ 5 = 5, 4 ÷ 7 = 8, 8 ÷ 7 = 6 then,
What should 9 ÷ 6 be?
(A) 4 (B) 9
(C) 5 (D) 6
36. Select the correct combination of mathematical sings to replace * signs and to balance the given equation :
28* 4 * 9 * 16
(A) ÷ + = (B) + ÷ =
(C) – x + (D) _ = x
37. 8 15 22
29 ? 43
50 57 64
(A) 34 (B) 70
(C) 60 (D) 65
38. 7 9 22
29 ? 43
2 5 ?
112 135 900
(A) 6 (B) 70
(C) 60 (D) 65
39. A man starts form his house and walked straight for 10 metres towards North and turned left and walked 25 metres. He then turned right and walked 5 metres and again turned right and walked 25 metres.
Which direction is he facing now ?
(A) North (B) East
(C) South (D) West
40. A and B start walking form the same point. A goes North and covers 3 km, then turns right and covers 4 kms. B goes west and covers 5 kms, then turns right and covers 3 kms, How far apart are they fro9m each other ?
(A) 10 km (B) 9 km
(C) 8 km (D) 5 km
41. Five persons A, B, C, D and E are sitting in a row facing you such that D is on the left of C and B is on the right of E. A is on the right of C and B is on the left of D. If E occupies a corner position then who is sitting in the centre ?
(A) A (B) B
(C) C (D) D
42. If Ram’s house is located to the South of Krishna’s house and Govinda’s house is to the East of Krishna’s house, in what direction is Ram’s house situated with respect to Govinda’s house ?
(A) North-East (B) North-West
(C) South-East (D) South-West
43. Statements : 1. All children are students.
2. All students are players.
Conclusions : 1. All cricketers are students.
2. All children are players.
(A) Only conclusion I follows.
(B) Only conclusion II follows.
(C) Both conclusions I and II follow.
(D) Neither conclusion I nor II follows.
44. Statements : 1. No teacher comes to the school on a bicycle.
2. Anand comes to the school on a bicycle.
Conclusions : I.Anand is not a teacher.
II. Anand is a student.
(A) Conclusion I alone can be drawn.
(B) Conclusion II alone can be drawn.
(C) Both conclusions can be drawn.
(D) Both Conclusions can not be drawn.
45. Which single letter when suffixed to the following words will form now words ?
CAR MAR PAR TABLE
(D) None or more than one letter
46. In a row of boys, Manish is 9th form the left and Suresh is 9th from the right. When they interchange their positions, Suresh becomes 18th from the right. What will be the Manish’s new position from the left ?
47. How many 5’s are there in the following number series which are preceded by 3 but not followed by 8.
4 5 8 3 2 7 3 5 1 7 8 9 3 5 8 3 1 3 5 2
48. A day-after-tomorrow will be be X-Mas day. What will be the day on New-year-day if to day is Monday ?
49. The height of three towers are in the ratio 5 : 6 : 7. If a spider takes 15 minutes to climb the smallest tower, how much time will it take to climb the highest one.
(A) 15 minutes
(B) 18 minutes
(C) 21 minutes
(D) 54 minutes
50. In an examination Raviscores 8 marks less than 80% of full marks and Amit gets 5 marks more than 70% of full marks.Ravigets 2 marks more than Amit. How many marks does Ravi get ?
PART – (b)
51. The value of a commodity expressed in terms of money is known as
(A) Price (B) Utility
(D) Value (E) Wealth
52. The planning Commission of India was established in the year
(A) 1947 (B) 1949
(C) 1950 (D) 1952
53. Green Revolution was started in
(A) 1960 (B) 1970
(C) 1980 (D) 1990
54. The term of the Finance Commission is
(A) Ten years
(B) Five years
(C) Six years
(D) Three years
55. Reserve Bank ofIndiawas Nationalised in
(A) 1948 (B) 1947
(C) 1949 (D) 1950
56. Who was the Chairman of the Constituent Assembly ?
(A) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
(B) Dr. Rajendra Prasad
(C) Jawahar Lal Nehru
(D) Vallabh Bhai Patel
57. Which one of the following methods is used to ascertain the public opinion on important legislation ?
(D) None of the above
58. Fundamental Duties were added to the Constitution by
(A) 24th Amendment
(B) 39th Amendment
(C) 42nd Amendment
(D) 44th Amendment
59. The final authority to interpret out Constitution is the
(C) Prime Minister
(D) Supreme Court
60. Compared with Society, the scope of State activity is
(C) Just equal
(D) No comparison between the two
61. Seleucus Nicator was defeated by
(B) Chandragupta Maurya
(C) Bindu Sara
62. The striking feature of the Indus Valley Civilization was
(A) Urban Civilization
(B) Agrarian Civilization
(C) Mesolithic Civilization
(D) Paleolithic Civilization
63. The Governor-General who abolished the practice of Sati was
(C) William Bentinck
64. The famous Bhakti Saint who belonged to the royal family of Mewar was
65. After Alexander’s death the Eastern part of his empire came under
(A) Seleucus Nicator
66. The Thar Express goes to
67. The product used for manufacturing of Industrial alcohol is
68. Guwahati is situated on the bank of the river
69.Kanchenjungais situated in
(D) Himachal Pradesh
70. With which set of following countries has Arunachal Pradesh common border ?
71. The green colour of the leaves is due to the presence of
72. The edible part of an onion is
(A) Modified root
(B) Aerial flower
(C) Aerial stem
(D) Fleshy leaves
73. To which group of blood and universal recipient belongs ?
(A) A group
(B) B group
(C) O group
(D) AB group
74. The normal body temperature of human beings is
(A) 96.4 oF
(B) 97.4 oF
(C) 98.4 oF
(D) 99.4 oF
75. Columba livia is the scientific name of
76. Bones are pneumatic in
77. Name the process of production of energy in the Sun
(A) Nuclear fission
(C) Nuclear fusion
78. A spherical ball made of steel when dropped in mercury container will
(A) sink in mercury
(B) will be on the surface of mercury
(C) will be partly immersed in mercury
(D) will dissolve in mercury
79. The sounds having a frequency of 20 Hertz to 20,000 Hertz are known as
(A) Audible sounds
80. Eclipses occur due to which optical phenomena ?
(C) Rectilinear propagation
81. Which of the following produces highest amount of energy upon oxidation ?
(D) An alkane
82. Pure water is bad conductor of electricity because it is
(A) feebly ionized
(B) not volatile
(C) a very good solvent
(D) a non-polar solvent
83. Where is National Chemical Laboratory (NCL) located /
84. The metals commonly used for electroplating are
(A) Gold, Sodium & Chromium
(B) Chromium, Copper & Chromium
(C) Nickel, Lead & Chromium
(D) Gold, Sodium & Potassium
85. Which of the following in automobile exhaust can cause cancer ?
(A) Oxides of nitrogen
(B) Carbon monoxide
(D) Polyclinic hydrocarbons
86. Bleaching powder is used in drinking water as a/an
87. Gamma rays have greatest similarity with
(A) α-rays (B) β-rays
(C) X-rays (D) U.V.-rays
88. In the absence of ozone layer, which rays will enter into atmosphere ?
89. Where are programs and date to be used by the computer available ?
(A) Processing Unit
90. In HTML, <B> and </B> tags display the enclosed text in
(A) black colour
91. Who invented chloroform as anaesthetic ?
(A) James Simpson
(B) Edward Jenner
(C) Alexander Fleming
(D) Christian Barnard
92. The Nobel Prize for Chemistry for the year 2011 has been awarded to
(A) Saul Perlmutter, Brian P. Schmidt & Adam G. Riess
(B) Bruce A. Beutler, Jules A. Hoffmann & Ralph M. Steinman
(C) Christopher A. Sims & Thomas J. Sargent
(D) Dan Schechtman
93. Sebastian Vettel won the Formula 1 India Grand Prix held at Greater Noida on October 30, 2011. This was also his_____ win of the season.
(A) 10th (B) 11th
(C) 12th (D) 13th
94. Of which of the following States of India is Kuchipudi a dance-drama ?
(B) Andhra Pradesh
(D) Tamil Nadu
95. With which of the following was Satyajit Ray associated ?
(A) Classical dance
(C) Classical music
(D) Direction of films
96. Census date released on July 15, 2011 reflect that 13.48 percent urban population lives in
(A) Uttar Pradesh
97. National Social Assistance Programme is aimed at providing
(A) financial support to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
(B) old age pension to very poor
(C) insurance for the poor
(D) All of the above
98. As per studies, the Tummalapalle mine in Andhra Pradesh could have Uranium reserve of
(A) 1 lakh tonnes
(B) 1.5 lakh tonnes
(C) 2 lakh tonnes
(D) 2.5 lakh tonnes
99. Which of the following is a famous Assamese festival ?
(A) Maker Sakranti
(D) Rongali Bihu
100. The least populated State inIndiais
(A) Arunachal Pradesh
PART – (c)
101. The value of 1/15+1/35+1/63+1/99+1/143 is
(A) 5/39 (B) 4/39
(C) 2/39 (D) 7/39
102. The number 2.525, when written as a fraction and reduced to lowest terms, the sun of the numerator and denominator is
(A) 7 (B) 29
(C) 141 (D) 349
103. If the square root of x is the cube root of y, then the relation between x and y is
(A) x3 = y2 (B) x2 = y3
(C) x = y (D) x6 = y5
104. A and B together can complete a work in 12 days. A alone can complete in 20 days. If B does the work only half a day daily, then in how many days A and B together will complete the work ?
(A) 10 days (B) 20 days
(C) 11 days (D) 15 days
105. A can do a piece of work in 70 days and B is 40% more efficient than A. The number of days taken by B to do the same work is
(A) 40 days (B) 60 days
(C) 50 days (D) 45 days
106. A right circular cylinder, a hemisphere and a right circular cone stand on the same base and have the same height The ration of their volumes is then
(A) 3 : 6 : 1 (B) 3 : 4 : 1
(C) 3 : 2 : 1 (D) 4 : 3 : 1
107. A cylinder has ‘r’ as the radius of the base and ‘h’ as the height. The radius of base of another cylinder, having double the volume but the same height as that of the first cylinder must be equal to
108. Area of the base of a pyramid is 57 sq. cm. and height is 10 cm, then its volume in cm3, is
(A) 570 (B) 390
(C) 190 (D) 590
109. The area of a circle inscribed in a square of area 2 m2 is
(A) π/4 m2 π/2 m2
(C) π m2 2π m2
110. For a certain article, if discount is 25% the profit is 25%. If the discount is 10% then the profit is
(A) 50% (B) 40%
(C) 30% (D) 33 1/3%
111. The price that Akbar should mark on a pair of shoes which costs him Rs. 1,200 to gain 12% after allowing a discount of 16% (in rupees) is
(A) 1344 (B) 1433
(C) 1600 (D) 1500
112. Some carpenters promised to do a job in 9 days but 5 of them were absent and remaining men did the job in 12 days. The original number of carpenters was
(A) 24 (B) 20
(C) 16 (D) 18
113. One third of a certain journey is covered at the rate of 25 km/hour, one-fourth at the rate of 30 km/hour and the rest at 50 km/hour. The average speed for the whole journey is
(A) 35 km/hour
(B) 33 ⅓ km/hout
(C) 30 km/hour
(D) 37 ½ km/hour
114. The average of two numbers is 62. If 2 is added to the smallest number, the ratio between the numbers becomes 1 : 2 The difference of the numbers is
(A) 62 (B) 40
(C) 84 (D) 24
115. The cost price of 25 articles is equal to the selling price of 20 of them. The gain or loss percent is given by
(A) 20% loss (B) 25% gain
(C) 60% loss (D) 75% gain
116. A shopkeeper makes a profit of 20% even after giving a discount of 10% on the marked price of an article. If marked price is Rs. 500/- then the cost price of the article is
(A) Rs. 350 (B) Rs. 375
(C) Rs. 425 (D) Rs. 475
117. If 40% of (A+B) = 60% of (A – B) then 2A – 3B/A+B is
(A) 7/6 (B) 6/7
(C) 5/6 (D) 6/5
118. A number is first increased by 10% and then it is further increased by 20%. The original number is increased altogether by
(A) 30% (B) 15%
(C) 32% (D) 36%
119. If a train runs at 40 km/hour, it reaches its destination late by 11 minutes. But if it runs at 50 km/hour, it is late by 5 minutes only. The correct time (in minutes) for the train to complete the journey is
(A) 13 (B) 15
(C) 19 (D) 21
120. A tree increase annually by 1/8th of its height. By how much will it increase after 2 years, if it stands today 64 cm height ?
(A) 72 cm (B) 74 cm
(C) 75 cm (D) 81 cm
121. If 2x + 3 = 32, then the value of 3x + 1 is equal to
(A) 27 (B) 81
(C) 72 (D) 9
122. If x + 1/x = 2, x ≠ o then value of x2 + 1/x3 is equal to
(A) 1 (B) 2
(C) 3 (D) 4
123. If a/b + b/a 1, a ≠ o, b ≠ o the value of a3 + b3 is
(A) 0 (B) 1
(C) – 1 (D) 2
124. If a2 + b2 + c2 + 3 = 2(a + b + c) then the value of (a + b + c) is
(A) 2 (B) 3
(C) 4 (D) 5
125. The ortho centre of a right angled triangle lies
(A) outside the triangle
(B) at the right angular vertex
(C) on its hypotenuse
(D) within the triangle
126. The angles of a triangle are (x + 5)0, (2x – 3)0 and (3x + 4)0. The value of x is
(A) 30 (B) 31
(C) 29 (D) 28
127. AD is the median of a triangle ABC and O is the centroid such that AO = 10 cm. The length of OD in cm is
(A) 4 (B) 5
(C) 6 (D) 8
128. If tan (2Ө + 450) = cot 3Ө where (2Ө + 450) and3Ө are acute angles, then the value of Ө is
(A) 50 (B) 90
(C) 120 (D) 150
129. If sec2 Ө + tan2 Ө = 7/12, then sec4 Ө – tan4 Ө =
(A) 7/12 (B) ½
(C) 5/12 (D) 1
130. The ration of area allotted for residential and road purpose is
(A) 1 : 4 (B) 4 : 1
(C) 3 : 8 (D) 8 : 3
131. The percentage of the total area allotted for water body and green zone together is
(A) 35% (B) 30%
(C) 45% (D) 40%
132.Landallotted for green zone is greater than that for commercial purpose by
(A) 3/2 acres (B) 2/3 acres
(C) 4/3 acres (D) ¾ acres
133. The year in which the gross profit is double the net profit
(A) 1997 (B) 1995
(C) 1996 (D) 1994
134. The percentage of net profit of 1995 as compared to the gross profit in that year is
(A) 25.5% (B) 35.5%
(C) 37.5% (D) 42.5%
135. The difference of average gross profit and average net profit calculated for four years is
(A) Rs. 18.75 lakhs (B) 19.75 lakhs
(C) Rs. 20.5 lakhs (D) 22.5 lakhs
136. The ratio of gross profit to net profit in a year was greatest in the year
(A) 1994 (B) 1995
(C) 1996 (D) 1997
137. For the entire four years as shown, the ration of total gross profit to total net profit is
(A) 13 : 4 (B) 11 : 6
(C) 11 : 5 (D) 9 : 4
PART – (d)
138. Neither of them / are / good. /
(A) (B) (C)
139. Due to me being a new comer /
was unable / to get a good house. /
140. In the garden /
Were the more beautiful flowers /
And silver bells. / No error.
141. The poet / describes about /
The spring season. / No error.
142. The news was ________ good to be true.
143. How much longer __________ this book ?
(A) you are needing
(B) will you be needing
(C) will you have needed
(D) have you needed
144. _______ you hear the President’s speech ?
145. I ________ to the movies with some friends last night.
(A) have gone
(C) am gone
(D) am going
146. She has only _________ friends.
(D) a few
147. A pair of shoes have been purchased by me.
(A) has been
(B) has being
(C) would been
(D) no improvement
148. When I shall go to Agra, I shall visit the Taj Mahal.
(A) have gone
(B) shall travel
(D) no improvement
149. You must apologise with him for this
(D) no improvement
150. Since he worked hard he failed to secure good grades.
(D) No improvement
151. The minister agree will answer question on television.
(A) to answer
(B) for answering
(C) with answering
(D) no improvement
152. A person who loves wealth and spends as little money as possible.
153. State of anxiety or dismay causing mental confusion.
154. A person who is fluent in two languages.
155. One who eats human flesh.
(A) Man eater
156. The quality of being politely firm and demanding.
157. (A) independance
158. (A) hypocrisy (B) hypocresy
(C) hipocrisy (D) hipocrecy
159. (A) aeroplane (B) airoplane
(C) aeroplain (D) airoplain
160. (A) loanly (B) lonly
(C) lonelie (D) lonely
161. (A) cerimony (B) ceremoney
(C) ceremony (D) cerimoney
162. (A) freedom (B) patriotism
(C) liberation (D) revolution
163. (A) threatened (B) inspired
(C) attacked (D) impressed
164. (A) diffused (B) gauged
(C) established (D) determined
165. (A) trivial (B) magnificent
(C) serious (D) auspicious
166. (A) excluded (B) elicited
(C) prevented (D) concealed
167. (A) transfer (B) seizure
(C) grabbing (D) retainment
168. (A) tactics (B) fantasy
(C) inevitability (D) occurrence
169. (A) violence (B) taboos
(C) vengeance (D) anarchy
170. (A) imagine (B) pretend
(C) realise (D) anxious
171. (A) power (B) bondage
(C) exile (D) suspense
More Govt Jobs given below
Staff Selection Commission
Combined Graduate Level Exam
Subject – General English
Directions (1-10): In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each four words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word.
A two party (1) is must for a democratic country like (2) to achieve national objectives (3) as removal (4) unemployment,
MODEL PRACTICE SET
Subject- General English
Combined Graduate level Examination SSC 2011
Directions (1-10): A passage is given below in which blanks have been numbered. Four alternative choices are given below against each number. In the context of the whole passage, select the best word in each case to fit each of the blanks to complete the passage correctly and meaningfully.
During the World War I penicillin was (1) on six patients.
BANK PROBATIONARY OFFICER (BANK PO)
1. Which country will introduce entrepreneur visa to encourage foreign nationals from India and elsewhere to catalyze the country’s economic recovery?
(a) US (b) Britain
(c) France (d) Denmark
(e) None of these
2. Name the state whose chief minister has said that the Armed Forces Special Powers Act can be withdrawn from some areas with a rider that the Army can step in again if the situation so warrants.
Bank Probationary Officer ( Bank PO)
1. Name the Karnataka minister who resigned in the wake of the Lokayukta police filing a first information report against him on irregularities related to allotment of land through the Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board (KIADB).
(a) Katta Subramanya Naidu (b) N Santosh Hegde
(c) Jagmohan Reddy (d) Roshan Baig
(e) None of these
NABARD Bank PO
1. Which of the following is rated the poorest region of the world?
(a) The Middle East (b) Asia
(c) Sub-Saharan Africa (d) Latin America
(e) None of these
2. Which of the following terms is not used in the world of economics/finance?
(a) Sinking Fund (b) Third World
(c) Open Door Policy (d) Devaluation
(e) Privilege Motion